Hey, gorgeous Lucky Bee.
Today we’re talking about how decluttering leads to more money in your life.
This is a topic I’m super passionate about and it’s one of those things that you have to do constantly.
Even if you’re a good declutterer, you should watch today’s video because we’re going to go deep into how and why decluttering can make you more money.
Let’s do it!
Listen to the audio here:
Lucky Bitch Video Transcript – How Decluttering Leads to More Money
I’ve been a fan of decluttering for years now and I’ve seen drastic results in all area of my life.
That’s why I was thrilled to see Marie Kondo’s book, The Life-changing Magic of Tidying, come out and everyone really embracing the idea that less is more, and getting rid of stuff that doesn’t bring them joy. It’s amazing.
You might think it’s just about having a great physical space, or having organized socks. But what you may not realize is just how powerful decluttering is for manifesting money.
Let me explain why.
Your clutter is highly symbolic
Firstly, all that clutter you have represents what you’re currently tolerating in your life. If you think about how cluttered your office is at the moment, or your bedroom, what does that say about you and your income right now?
Is it chaotic?
Is it messy?
Is it abundant?
Is it clean and uncluttered?
Think about how that clutter represents you and your financial situation.
The things that you’re tolerating, especially if you’ve got broken or Economy Class items in your life, are reflective of how you believe you deserve to show up in the world and what you believe you should receive.
That’s the first thing – clutter is highly symbolic.
Are you hanging on to old beliefs?
The second thing is that it really does highlight what’s important to you in your life right now.
If you’re holding onto things out of guilt or resentment, it often means that you care more about what other people think, rather than what you really want in your life.
Let me give you some examples of this.
Often, people feel guilty about decluttering presents that were given to them by other people. They think, “I was given this and I have to keep it because I’ll feel really bad if I throw it away.”
It comes down to this underlying belief a lot of women have that “you have to be grateful for what you’re given,” or “you get what you’re given.”
That was always a big mantra in our house…
“You get what you’re given”
And even jokingly “Beggars can’t be choosers” – (ARGH what kind of message is this?!)
Holding onto to that kind clutter can be highly symbolic.
Did you consciously and deliberately choose the things in your life?
Have they been a conscious choice for you, or are they things that you’ve been given, had to put up with, or were all you could afford?
Sometimes people think it’s better to have more, even if it’s stuff they don’t like, rather than just having one or two things.
That really isn’t the case at all
Which brings me to my next point.
Decluttering is great for money manifesting
If you think that you can’t declutter your old stuff because you’re waiting for money to magically show up and replace it, then you’re going about manifesting the wrong way.
You have to empty before you can refill
This is so true for money manifesting.
You have to let go of stuff that doesn’t work in your life with the faith that better is coming.
If you hold onto things out of fear, then you’re really showing the Universe that you don’t believe something better is coming.
Make space first, then you can fill up.
But don’t fill up with crap that people give you. Fill up with things of your choice, things that are a powerful choice for you.
That’s where the power of discernment comes in
Pretty much everything in my life is here because I’ve chosen it or decided to keep it.
That has huge benefits for my money manifesting because I’m telling the Universe that I’m not just tolerating any old crap that people want to give me.
I’m only going to let in the best, and I’m only going to let in things that are a powerful choice for me.
Get clear and make way for new ideas
The next point, and this is part of the KonMari Method, is that physical clutter can lead to other types of clutter, like mental and emotional clutter.
It’s very easy to feel overwhelmed in your business if you’re surrounded by crap.
If you look at it from an entrepreneurial point of view, you’ve got to clear that space so you can bring in some new creative ideas.
You might be holding onto old crap from the past, for example, old business materials like brochures, business cards or stock. Super important for failed businesses too – let it all go!
I’m just about to declutter my office because I want to create new covers for my books. I’ve got these boxes of books with covers that I don’t love anymore. I’ve got to get rid of them all to make space for new covers.
If you’ve got old business stuff hanging around you’ve got to get rid of it all, so you can create space for those new creative ideas to come through.
All of this affects your income.
You’re more likely to take action in your business if you’re in a clean, decluttered environment.
Here are some more ideas for you:
- Unsubscribe from newsletters you don’t read anymore
- Clean out your Kindle of books you didn’t like
- Delete old contacts from your phone
- Set up filters for your email account so you have an uncluttered inbox
- Change your passwords to represent your new goals
- Declutter your office junk drawers
- Delete that unfinished novel you have NO enthusiasm for anymore
- Back up and clean off your computer now to make room for your new one
- Clean off your keyboard and computer screen
- Shred old client files
- Clean up your Facebook news feed (hide people who are constantly negative)
- Clear off your “to read” list of books if you didn’t get past the first chapter. (You have permission to not finish them)
- Forward all your emails to your assistant – take your personal email address off your website
- Delete old websites, even if they get some traffic
- Shred old tax information (you have to keep it for a certain amount of time but after that.. SHRED)
- Declare Inbox bankruptcy and delete everything!
- Get rid of all those random cables – you won’t miss them!
- Delete draft blog posts that will never see the light of day
- Unpublish books you don’t want your name on anymore
- Have a close out sale of old stock or anything you don’t want to sell anymore
- Recycle, trash or delete old marketing materials
- Decommission services you don’t want to offer any more, even if you’re really good at it
- Kill your biggest selling program if you can’t stand running it anymore (or turn it into a different format, eg, live course into home study program)
- Fire clients you don’t want to work with anymore (or don’t let them renew)
- Remove yourself from Facebook groups that add nothing to your day
- Fire suppliers who don’t offer 100% First Class service
- Say no to networking groups that have become an obligation, not a joy
- Retire yourself from volunteer positions or groups you no longer want to serve
- Cancel subscriptions that you never use
- Do an audit of all business expenses
- Consider all of your team positions to make sure they are adding value to your company
- Renegotiate a business arrangement or joint venture that doesn’t work anymore
- Quit hobbies you want to give up (no time, outgrown the group, don’t enjoy it anymore)
- Un-RSVP to an invitation from people you’ve outgrown
Action brings income
As I said, I’m super passionate about decluttering, but decluttering is just one step of the manifesting process.
It’s actually the first step that I teach in my five-step manifesting process. Each one is just as important as the other, but that is definitely the first one, so start there.
If you need help and you want to know what the other steps are, then just go to www.LuckyBitch.com/Formula.
You can get my free Manifesting Course – and it comes with a cheat sheet as well – so you can go through the five steps with whatever goal you’re manifesting right now, whether it’s to gain three new clients, to increase your income by 10% this month, or to manifest a new house.
The course will really help you to break down your manifesting into very specific and practical steps.
Remember, decluttering will absolutely change your income
When you think, “What else can I do to achieve that goal?”
Go and declutter.
Go clean some stuff.
Go chuck some stuff out.
It will feel amazing
Trust me, KonMari is my homegirl.
Again, make sure you get that Manifesting Course at www.LuckyBitch.com/Formula.
It’s your time, and you’re totally ready for the next step.
Did you miss last week’s post? Check it out here: Why You Should Stop Bartering