Was 2016 a good year for you?
Need an end of year ritual to close out the year? No matter what happened, you have the power to completely change your experience in 2017.
We know that when the clocks tick over, nothing really magical happens. It’s just a day like any other.
I don’t know about you though – it really feels for me like a chance to completely shift things. A fresh start!
Let’s end the year with one really simple but profound end of year ritual.
This one completely changed my life last year, and it doesn’t matter how hungover you are on New Year’s Day – it’s an easy one to do. (Or do it over the next week!)
The exercise is to make a list of everything you’re proud of over the last year.
Sounds easy, but trickier than it sounds.
First – do this with a partner.
That’s key, so you don’t chicken out and get all bashful, like “I dunno. I guess I did some … stuff..?”
It’s best to do this with someone who gets you and really “sees” you and your accomplishments and who will draw more out of you.
Take turns asking each other what you’re proud of.
Start with “I’m proud of…” and list out things like:
- Business accomplishments
- Tricky situations that you dealt with
- Boundaries you enforced
- Goals you hit
- Personal accomplishments
Anything that you want to acknowledge yourself for. Don’t be shy or modest. Time to really shine a light on everything you’ve done.
And seriously – it’s kind of hard to remember everything. So, here’s how to take it to the next level.
Your partner simply asks you,
And then silence. No prompting. No jumping in for their turn. Just ask the question “What else?” and wait.
Keep asking until you have at LEAST 50 brags.
There will be lots of pauses when you think you’re done and then, “Oh yeah! I forgot about this one!” Then keep asking, “What else?”
Trust me, you’ll be buzzing at the end of it, so don’t give up.
The list of brags is important but the question “What else?” is extremely important. You’ll probably get stuck at about five things you’re proud of, because you don’t want to brag, you discount your accomplishments or you’ve just forgotten.
Did 2016 suck?
I did this with a friend who thought she had a bad year until we did this exercise. It took us 45 minutes and she ended up with 42 things she was proud of, but it took some digging.
That’s why the question is so important. Keep asking and don’t give up.
Bragging is GOOD for you. It’s awesome to remember everything, it’s great for manifesting to acknowledge all your wins, big and small so you can attract even more luck and abundance into the new year.
Work on a mix of business and personal, as long as you get at least 30-50 good things.
If you do it by yourself, eventually you’ll run out of steam and move on to something else. For the best results, you need a partner to hold the space and to gently ask, “What else?”
As soon as you run out of brags …. what else?
When you think you haven’t done anything good …. what else?
As soon as you think there’s nothing else to celebrate …. what else?
If you tell yourself it was a bad year …. what else?
When you think you’ve written everything …. what else?
By the way, you don’t just have to do this as an end of year ritual… you could do it monthly or quarterly.
I’d love you to share yours in the comments. Go for at least 5!
Here are just some of mine for 2016:
(full year review post coming!)
- Had a baby! Curious George has bought a lot of love into our lives
- Bought a new house, and then sold it six weeks later because it wasn’t the “right one” even though I was afraid it would inconvenience others.
- Bought a new house that was the “dream one” – going WAY out of my comfort zone
- Started a new book
- Completely revised my two books (new editions coming in the new year)
- Got my hair blow dried every week
- Lost 15 pounds
- Set boundaries with people in my life – SO PROUD of this.
- Clocked over 3000 Lucky Bitch Money Bootcamp members
- Went to Pilates every week this year (except for six weeks after baby)
- Started yoga again!
- Filmed all of 2016’s videos in January, while pregnant
- Completely filmed all of my 2017 blog videos over three days (behind the scenes post coming)
- Doubled my newsletter list and increased revenue by 30%.
- Raised enough money from affiliate promos to build a Pencils of Promise school in Laos
- Came top 5 in Jeff Walker’s affiliate promo (we donated the prizes to our POP school)
- Had my hubby help me out with a launch – it was awesome working together
Post yours below – would love to hear them big and small (please don’t be shy – brag your butt off) and next time you’re having a bad day, have a read over everything awesome you’ve accomplished.
Imagine me saying to you “what else?” every time you get stuck.
Happy new year – it’s your time and you’re ready for the next step. 2017 is YOUR YEAR.